Friday, January 31, 2014

Bienvenidos (again)!

Well hello there, it's been quite a while.  With all the day to day duties that I have running Proud Mary I've lost touch with my blog.  Just returning from an incredible trip to Peru reiterated 1)how much I love my job and 2)how I need to get better at sharing the Proud Mary story.  I am often conflicted between "telling the story" and having our products tell the story themselves (result of dichotomous thinking).  I fear "telling the story" will exploit our artisan partners but it doesn't have to be that way.

A part of me wishes that I was a foreign journalist, traveling to exotic lands to cover important stories such as war, political coups, refugee crises, etc.  Textiles may not be a life or death subject matter BUT they do tell the story of a culture and through crafts development positive change/economic prosperity is possible.  So, the moral of this little blurb is that it is my responsibility to share information because I can and because what we do affects more than aesthetics.  I choose to start my business and work with global artisans for the human connection.  Here's to sharing that connection to the best of my ability as my own kind of journalist:)

 
Photo by my awesome travel partner Olivia Rae James
Mario Testino museum in Barranco
Charming scenes of Barranco
Christmas, late January
Miraflores sunset
Puno and Ayacucho textiles
Lima. What a gem! This coastal city reminded me so much of California; Santa Monica and Venice Beach to be exact.  I  loved the groms walking through the city with their surfboards, bustling cafes, artisan markets, Barranco (bohemian, colonial neighborhood), Ceviche, discovering Pisco Sours, Christmas decorations in full effect a month after Christmas, and the flowers...beyond. 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...