Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Japanese Boro

Pinterest


Kimono Jacket 
Kimono Jacket Detail

Quilt Detail

Boro Pillow
 Introducing my newest textile obsession...Japanese Boro.  Boro was created by poor Japanese farmers in the late 19th century and early 20th century out of necessity. They used whatever hemp, and indigo dyed cotton scraps they could find to create garments and patch their existing garments.  I have a large place in my heart for Indigo and lately am especially liking the faded variety.  I think I will coin this look 'utilitarian shabby chic'.  I'm into it!

A few places to find Boro; Sri Threads,  Joinery (not positive but they just posted a Boro pillow on Instagram so might be worth a try), and of course One Kings Lane and 1st Dibs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...