Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Starts with an act of love...


After falling deeply in love with the indigenous peoples and brightly colored textiles she decided to combine her passions into a sustainable design business promoting social change. (www.proudmary.org)
 
As an intern for Proud Mary, I have learned so much.  I understand that for a business to be successful it does not take perfect management or a calculated advertising plan rather it takes passion.  Proud Mary runs off of heart – the heart of the designer [Harper], the artisans producing, and the consumers buying.  After her trip to Mali, Harper explained to me that Proud Mary’s products are a celebration of artisans’ work in our world.  I love this. 
Mud cloth artisan from Mali (Proud Mary design)

I had a similar experience during my first trip to Siem Reap, Cambodia.  I went as a volunteer for Caring for Cambodia (CFC) in 2004.  I have never worked so hard, sweat so much, or felt happier in my life.  I fell in love with the country and the goodness of the people around me.  I left a part of my heart there and have returned four times since 2004. 
Caring for Cambodia school


Caring for Cambodia has grown immensely since Jamie Amelio founded it in 2003.  CFC started with a single school built in a village in the outskirts of Siem Reap.  There are now 14 schools dedicated to providing free education to children in Siem Reap. 
Visiting ancient temple sites outside of Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Woodworker making ornate doors at the local temple grounds

Cambodians have taught me how to live more simply, love more freely and celebrate life.
My beautiful host during an island stay in Cambodia
Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier. 
– Mother Teresa 

(Image source: CFC Facebook, Proud Mary, www.CaringforCambodia.org and personal photos) 
Posted by: Natalie K.

1 comment:

  1. this is so beautiful. I heart Harper, and Proud Mary. Amazing work.xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...